The eighth annual Welsh Community Football Awards Dinner presented by McDonald’s took place on a historic night at the Cardiff City Stadium on Tuesday 13th October.
Frances Donavon presented the awards to around 150 guests whilst winners from all over Wales received their awards and framed shirts from the likes of Craig Bellamy, Danny Gabbidon, Andy Legg and Mathew Jones.
All winners also went out on to the pitch at half time during Wales’ final European Championship Qualifying match against Andorra and were recognised by the whole ground.
8 of the 9 award winners had already been announced prior to the event however it was Martin Williams who scooped the People’s Award after weeks of voting and some fierce competition from Dawn Elliot, Karen Jones, Paul Inns, Eifion Morris and Meryl Kibble.
Also in attendance were representatives of Merthyr Town FC who were congratulated on winning the UEFA Grassroots Club of the Year
The full list of this year’s winners is:
- Grassroots Impact – The North Wales Girls League
- School of the Year – George Street Primary School
- Young Volunteer of the Year – Lloyd Francis
- Club of the Year – Holywell Town
- Community Coach of the Year – Steve Davies
- Performance Development Coach of the Year – Mark Pike
- Lifetime Achievement Award – Phil Harries
- Mum of the Year – Ceri Robertson
- People’s Award – Martin Williams
- UEFA Grassroots Club of the Year – Merthyr Town
The event provides a fantastic opportunity to celebrate those who put their own time, effort and commitment in to improving the grassroots game in Wales.