Girls in schools, across Wales will be empowered to develop life skills the football-related activities, through our BE. Football Schools Programme.
Delivered in partnership with the Youth Sport Trust, there are currently 38 schools delivering the BE. Football School Programme across Wales with a total of 228 girls influencers.
Following the programmes recent success, The FAW Trust are recruiting a further 52 secondary schools to empower more girls through football during the 22/23 academic year.
Each school will be tasked to identify 6 Key Stage 3 girls to engage in the programme by becoming BE. Football girls’ football influencers, with a total of 312 NEW girls’ football influencers to be identified for 22/23.
• Improve the PE experience for girls through teachers adopting a life skills approach to PE (making it relevant) through football.
• Building confidence in female PE teachers to deliver football on the curriculum and extra-curriculum activities.
• Increase the number of girls enjoying football related activities and being active
• Develop girls in leadership roles to deliver relevant and enjoyable roles for more girls in their schools
• Provide appropriate formats of football in a way that suits the female teenage audience.
Who can run this programme?
The expectations for delivery are:
• As a minimum identify one lead teacher (PE) to attend CPD, (please note there is an opportunity for two teachers per school to attend)
• Recruit three girls to be the marketeers (ideally non-football pupils) to attend training
• Recruit three girls’ football delivery influencers to attend training
• Deliver life skills through football in the physical education curriculum for a minimum of one unit of work
• Deliver an extra-curricular opportunity for girls in football led by football activators
• Engage c. 150 girls through curriculum and extra-curricular activities
• Report data to the Youth Sport Trust through a termly data collection process.
What support will successful schools receive?
• A support contact from the YST and FAW Trust to provide longer term connection
• CPD (curriculum and leadership) including hard and digital copy resources
• ‘BE. Football’ branded clothing for girls as leaders, water bottles and resource cards
• Equipment to deliver programme.
• Training on the Girls’ Football Youth Sport Award, a reward and recognition scheme which evidences Activators’ life skills learning and achievements through football.
With a focus on developing female leaders for the future, the BE. Football programme is proudly supported by 6 Welsh Women's National Team Players’ who believe in and are passionate about the programme and its aims. The Programme Ambassadors not only support and inspire throughout the programme, but as girls’ football influencers, the girls within the programme will have the opportunity to meet and engage with the players whilst on their learning journey.
For more information on the programme
Please contact Girls Participation & Engagement Manager Bethan WoolleySend an email »